February 23, 2019 — San Antonio, Texas — Hailey Kinsel and DM Sissy Hayday won the San Antonio Stock Show Rodeo for the second-consecutive year with another dominating performance. The pair accrued $29,500 in total earnings over the span of the tournament-style rodeo from February 7–23.
The San Antonio Rodeo is broken into five brackets, with the top four money winners from each bracket advancing to the two Semifinals rounds. The top five earners from each Semifinals advance to the Finals, where the top 10 money earners in each event face off for the championship, determined by total money won over the course of the rodeo.
Kinsel entered the San Antonio finals as the top money-earner in barrel racing with $14,500. Amberleigh Moore and CP Dark Moon were also in heavy contention with a total $10,250, but the Salem, Oregon, pair downed a barrel in the finals to be taken out of contention. Kinsel and “Sister” posted a fast 14.02 to win the finals, worth a hefty $15,000 to shoot her to the top of the leaderboard. Shali Lord and Freckles Ta Fame came in a close second at 14.04, earning $12,000 for the reserve championship.
Kinsel, who grew up in nearby Cotulla, Texas, says this year’s victory deserved a special dedication.
“It’s incredibly special for a lot of reasons. I have a lot of family and friends around here; all my south Texas rodeo family that I grew up with is here,” Kinsel said. “This year is actually special, because last Friday before my first round I lost a dear friend that lived about an hour from me. We all knew him; he fixed up my truck going for the road, put the fuel tank on, the grill guard on. I grew up roping with him—he’s pushed more cows for me than I could ever name. It was a hard blow to all of his family that’s here, all of our close-knit rodeo family, so to win this for them means a lot. I know he’s looking down on us and proud of us.”
Qualifying Bracket Earnings
- Hailey Kinsel, Cotulla, TX, $14,500
- Amberleigh Moore, Salem, OR, $10,250
- Dona Kay Rule, Minco, OK, $9,750
- Callahan Crossley, Hermiston, OR, $9,250
- Jessie Telford, Caldwell, ID, $8,750
- Shali Lord, Lamar, CO, $8,500
- Ericka Nelson, Century, FL, $8,000
- Jimmie Smith, McDade, TX, $7,750
- Kathy Grimes, Medical Lake, WA, $6,875
- Nikki Hansen, Dickinson, ND, $6,500
San Antonio Rodeo Barrel Racing Final Results
Contestant/Horse/Time/Final-Round Earnings/Total Earnings
- Hailey Kinsel, DM Sissy Hayday (PC Frenchmans Hayday x Royal Sissy Irish x Royal Shake Em), 14.02, $15,000, $29,500
- Shali Lord, Freckles Ta Fame (Dash Ta Fame x Frenchmans Freckles x Frenchmans Guy), 14.04, $12,000, $20,500
- Kathy Grimes, KG Justiceweexpected (Judge Cash x Do It For Beau x Beaus Scoop Of Sun), 14.07, $7,500, $14,375
- Dona Kay Rule, High Valor (Valiant Hero x Rare High x Rare Form), 14.10, $4,500, $14,250
- Jessie Telford, Famous Cool Whip (Dash Ta Fame x Had A Kanita x Docs Rocky Top), 14.11, $8,750
- Jimmie Smith, Lena On The Rocks (Firewaterontherocks x Tourlena x Smart Cash Cutter), 14.29, $7,750
- Callahan Crossley, Brownie Bi Bogie (Bogie Biankus x Chets Babe x Chet Young 89er), 14.31, $9,250
- Nikki Hansen, Sky High Guy (Frenchmans Guy x Fleeting Pie x Pie In The Sky), 14.34, $6,500
- Amberleigh Moore, CP Dark Moon (Darkelly x SRQH New Highs x On A High), 13.87+5, $10,250
- Ericka Nelson, Goodfrenchmanfriday (BHR Frenchies Socks x Joyces Gal x Direct Moon Jet), 14.42+5, $8,000