By Danika Kent
Photo by Kenneth Springer
Jordon Briggs has had great success with colts of Frenchmans Guy descent, and she notched a recent win at the BFA Juvenile Futurity on Frenchmans Future, a 2011 filly by Frenchmans Guy, out of the Stoli daughter, Sixes Future.
“Her mother is also the mother of Stoli My Guy (Lisa Nicholas’ 2013 futurity phenom and 2014 derby standout). Sixes Future is a daughter of Stoli, out of a Tanquery Gin, Peppy San Badger mare. Stoli is a big-time running horse, but then to cross it on the Tanquery Gin and the horses that can do anything – well, that kind of sums it up,” Briggs said of the outcross effect.
Karma Loftin pointed out that the other big winners of the most recent running of the BFA were not “inter-family bred” – often anchored by predominant barrel blood, but peppered with outcross genetics. Some of the winners are genetic outcrosses, through and through. She noted that the Dash Ta Fames who took 1-2 in the futurity were out of race-bred mares, the type that “made Dash Ta Fame famous.”
- Nick Wylie’s futurity champion, WB Toole Ta Fame, ridden by Troy Crumrine, is a son of Dash Ta Fame out of Jody Was There Too, by Jody O Toole. The Van Volkenburgh-owned reserve champion, Famous Kickin Jo, also ridden by Crumrine, is a Dash Ta Fame grandson by Famous JR, out of Kickin Jo, an Easy Jet granddaughter.
- The top amateur futurity rider, Jason Moore, rode Carlee Shae Runaway to the win. The 2010 mare is by the Runaway Winner sun, JA Runaway, out of a Marthas Six Moons granddaughter, Hitten The Moonshine.
- Emilie Veillette’s derby champion, SV Pass Em Fire, is a grandson of Fire Water Flit by KY Finest Firewater, out of Pass Em Up Burnell, a mare of Thoroughbred and Easy Jet lineage.
- The derby amateur was won by Cindy Mainus on BB Runnin On Time, who is out of the Mr Eye Opener son, Six Packa Moonshine, and out of the Cash Native daughter, PC Worlds Of Cash.
- The Super Stakes winner, masterfully ridden by Amie Kay, was LK Shezapeasadinero. The PC Frenchmans Hayday daughter is out of Sheza Peasa Pie, who is by the Easy Jet son, Pie In The Sky and out of a Truckle Feature-bred mare.
- Tsunami Sue, ridden to the Future Fortunes Futurity Sires’ Slots win by Donnie Reece, is by the Stoli son, Ketel Won, out of the Royal Quick Dash daughter, BB Royalty Reigns.
Check out the February issue of Barrel Horse News to read “Making the Best Better” and hear more from Briggs, Loftin, and others. Then, turn the pages to find the success stories of the BFA World Championships, as told to Tanya Randall and Kailey Sullins by the owners and trainers of the fastest of the class of 2014.