For the second year, we are letting our readers decide the cover horse for the Barrel Horse News Stallion Register. The 2023 Stallion Register Cover Bracket will run June 16, 2022, through July 11, 2022. The winning stallion will be published on the 2023 Barrel Horse News Stallion Register cover. Every Friday, a new round will open until there is a winner for each category: Junior & Up-and-Coming Sires and Lifetime Rodeo/All Division Sires.
- Round 1: June 16-20 (16 stallions)
- Round 2: June 23-27 (8 stallions)
- Round 3: June 30 – July 4 (4 stallions)
- Final Round: July 7-11 (2 stallions)
The winning stallion will be announced this fall.
BHN Stallion Register Cover Bracket Selection Criteria
- No stallions who have previously been on the cover of the BHN Stallion Register or are deceased are eligible for voting.
- Former Stallion Register cover stallions are: Aint Seen Nothin Yet 2021, Epic Leader 2020, Famous Bugs 2019, Frenchmans Fabulous 2018, Judge Cash 2017, A Streak Of Fling 2016, Blazin Jetolena 2015, JL Dash Ta Heaven 2014, Slick By Design 2013, Frenchmans Guy 2012, Dash Ta Fame 2011.
- Stallions were selected for the bracket using EquiStat statistical charts of 5-Year, 10-Year, and All-Time Leading, Junior Sires, and All Divisions (aged events, rodeos, open competition).
- Seeding for the bracket pits predominantly junior and up-and-coming sires against predominantly lifetime leading all competition sires. Selection criteria for which stallions fell into which category are based on each stallion’s respective rankings on the EquiStat charts. BHN understands that most of these stallions have sired money-earners across all categories, regardless of their designation as a Junior or Lifetime Sire for the purpose of these brackets.
Disclaimer: The BHN Stallion Register Cover Bracket is a reader-voted contest, which will help Barrel Horse News determine the cover stallion for the 2023 BHN Stallion Register. BHN reserves the right to showcase any stallion outside of the confines of this contest at the discretion of the BHN staff. Similarly, if a stallion owner so chooses to be excluded from the BHN Stallion Register Cover Bracket, or refuses photography rights for the cover, BHN reserves the right to replace the stallion selection with a stallion of its choosing.