LAS VEGAS — December 3, 2022 — Three-time Women’s Professional Rodeo Association World Champions Hailey Kinsel and DM Sissy Hayday won back-to-back rounds at the Wrangler National Finals Rodeo, presented by Teton Ridge. The Cotulla, Texas, duo took home the Round Three win from a time of 13.59, worth $28,913.70.
While Kinsel and “Sister” are only 28 and 11, respectively, they are regular veterans now. After six qualifications, 18 round wins and 53 runs down the Thomas and Mack Center arena alleyway, they know how to make the adjustments needed to be successful in the NFR barrel racing. In Round Three, the duo was first to run, giving them an advantage on top of the ground. In true Kinsel and Sister fashion, they capitalized on the opportunity.
“It felt really good; really smooth,” Kinsel said. “Just trying to take advantage of being top of the ground and just want to make things feel the same as they did [in Round Two], and they did. It felt great. She feels awesome. She’s been really good.”
Others making big moves in the world standings were Lisa Lockhart and Promise Me Fame Guys (Aint Seen Nothin Yet x Bar Blue Lass x FC Aboo). Lockhart and “Levee” have been steadily figuring out the Thomas and Mack Center arena’s particular challenging setup and picking up paychecks along the way. They finished fourth in Round Two, but tonight, even on the bottom of the ground at draw No. 10, they turned in a 13.78 for third place for $17,254.95. That puts Lockhart third in the aggregate with a time of 41.54 on three runs and moves her from 11th to ninth.
Wenda Johnson and Macgyver Moonflash (First Moonflash x Im Chica Stoli x Stoli) turned in a 13.98 in Round Three, which was out of the money but keeps Johnson sitting in the No. 1 position in the aggregate with a time of 41.30 seconds on three runs. The aggregate pays $74,149.92 to win.
NFR Notable Horse Changes
Brittany Pozzi Tonozzi started the week off riding RC Black In Famous, owned by Chuck and Lisa Nelson of Hancock, Minnesota. “Pickles” was trained by Heidi Gunderson and earned close to $40,000 in EquiStat reported earnings throughout her futurity and derby years in 2019 and 2020. In 2021, NFR barrel racer Jane Melby hopped on Pickles to earn close to $10,000, making Pickles’ total EquiStat earnings $52,809. The 7-year-old mare is by Famous Gold Coin and out of Melby’s NFR money-earning mare RC Back In Black by Ninety Nine Goldmine. Melby and RC Back In Black earned $59,713 in the 2011 NFR barrel racing when Melby and “Beauty” won Round Three, Round Eight and Round Ten finished fourth in Round One. In Round One of the 2022 Wrangler NFR, Tonozzi and Pickles turned in a 14.09, which was out of the money, and in Round Two tipped a barrel.
Tonozzi made the decision to step on her home -raised and -trained mare Babe On The Chase, who’s now owned by Teton Ridge, for Round Three. “Birdie” is by Chasin Firewater and out of Tonozzi’s cornerstone dam Streakin Six Babe by Streakin Six. Birdie has been a player at the NFR for Tonozzi before, earning more than $49,753 in NFR money, according to EquiStat. The 11-year-old mare has also earned more than $387,313 in total lifetime earnings.
The horse change for Tonozzi proved beneficial as she and Birdie picked up the sixth-place paycheck in Round Three from a 13.87, worth $4,663.50. She sits at No. 12 in the aggregate with a 46.89 on three runs and sits in the No. 13 position in the world standings.
Another horse change in Round Three saw Stevi Hillman step off of the Jack and Kelly Bruner-bred mare French Zone, who’s owned by Jason Martin and Charlie Cole’s Highpoint Performance Horses. “Hollywood” is by Frenchmans Guy and out of Star Zone (TB) by Wild Zone (TB) and earned $29,192 with Kelly Bruner at the 2018 Wrangler NFR, placing in Round Four and Round Five. Hollywood has total EquiStat earnings of more than $128,676. Hillman and Hollywood finished out of the money in Round One of the 2022 NFR with a 14.17 and hit a barrel in Round Two. Hillman chose to get on the 70 Ranch Performance Horses-owned mare Sand In My Socks for Round Three. “Sandi” is by BHR Frenchies Socks and out of JC Pick Six by Tres Seis and was bred by Isabella Quarter Horses. The 5-year-old mare was trained and campaigned by EquiStat All-Time Leading Barrel Racer and $5 million earner Kassie Mowry. Together, Mowry and Sandi earned more than $260,751, with $100,000 of that coming from the 2020 Barrel Futurities of America World Championships SuperStakes as her very first competitive run as a 3-year-old.
NFR Barrel Racing Round Three Results
Place, Name, Horse, Time, Money Won
- Hailey Kinsel, DM Sissy Hayday, 13.59, $28,913.70
- Dona Kay Rule, High Valor, 13.74, $22,851.15
- Lisa Lockhart, Promise Me Fame Guys, 13.78, $17,254.95
- Shelley Morgan, HR Fameskissandtell, 13.80, $12,125.10
- Jordon Briggs, Famous Lil Jet, 13.86, $7,461.60
- Brittany Pozzi Tonozzi, Babe On The Chase, 13.87, $4,663.50
- Sissy Winn, Chewingthehotwire, 13.91
- Leslie Smalygo, Justaheartbeattofame, 13.93
- Kassie Mowry, CP He Will Be Epic, 13.94
- /11 (tie) Margo Crowther, Shes Packin Fame, 13.97
- 10/11 (tie) Jessica Routier, Fiery Miss West, 13.97
- Wenda Johnson, Steal Money, 13.98
- Stevi Hillman, Sand In My Socks, 14.03
- Bayleigh Choate, TJR Stinson Blues, 14.17
- Emily Beisel, Namgis D 33, 18.53 *
* denotes penalty
2022 WPRA World Standings
Rank, Name, Hometown, Earnings
- Jordon Briggs, Tolar, TX, $212,495.70
- Hailey Kinsel, Cotulla, TX, $187,216.98
- Wenda Johnson, Pawhuska, OK, $177,762.92
- Dona Kay Rule, Minco, OK, $164,956.44
- Shelley Morgan, Eustace, TX, $137,249.52
- Stevi Hillman, Granbury, TX, $130,602.22
- Margo Crowther, North Fort Myers, FL, $129,721.86
- Kassie Mowry, Dublin, TX, $125,404.45
- Lisa Lockhart, Oelrichs, SD, $124,250.96
- Sissy Winn, Chapman Ranch, TX, $119,309.76
- Emily Beisel, Weatherford, OK, $111,426.36
- Leslie Smalygo, Skiatook, OK, $106,578.10
- Brittany Pozzi Tonozzi, Lampasas, TX, $103,095.29
- Bayleigh Choate (R), Fort Worth, TX, $100,892.81
- Jessica Routier, Buffalo, SD, $96,863.10
Aggregate Standings on Three Runs
Rank, Name, Aggregate Time
- Wenda Johnson, 41.30
- Jordon Briggs, 41.48
- Lisa Lockhart, 41.54
- Margo Crowther, 41.61
- Leslie Smalygo, 41.74
- Shelley Morgan, 41.75
- Sissy Winn, 41.98
- Bayleigh Choate, 42.09
- Hailey Kinsel, 46.09
- Kassie Mowry, 46.43
- Dona Kay Rule, 46.54
- Brittany Pozzi Tonozzi, 46.89
- Stevi Hillman, 47.38
- Jessica Routier, 47.77
- Emily Beisel, 50.92